Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Culinary Traditions

I'm a little late on this post. Time has just gotten away from me lately. A slight shift in the weather and suddenly the garden is requiring attention, the home improvement projects are demanding completion and the bicycle is calling my name on a daily basis. Let me tell you about a couple of Sundays ago...

One thing I regret about my eating habits is that it makes it hard to indulge in some of the food of my husband's cultural background. I married an Italian with a momma and aunties who were wonderful cooks. It wasn't just general culinary skill with them, but an expression of a place and a time. They grew up on a farm near a coastal village and cooked the food of their region with the ingredients abundant to them.

Since my last visit to Italy I've made some adjustments to the things I eat... I gave up meat by choice and wheat by circumstance. My amazing husband, despite having no food issues of his own, has gone along with things without complaint. An Italian who will eat rice pasta for me? That is love!









I thought the fella deserved a Sunday dinner like the ones he grew up with, so I spent the day cooking modified Italian recipes, invited friends over and had a great time. I made pasta puttanesca, eggplant parmigiana and a big bowl of roasted peppers. I even whipped up a tiramisu made with gluten-free ladyfingers. Sadly, I missed getting a photo of it.

I strangely enjoy the challenge and creativity of cooking within limits. Give me a vegan friend or a lactose intolerant one to cook for, and I'm delighted! My own limitations have been actually quite enjoyable to create around. In fact, I enjoyed this dinner so much I think this will become a regular thing. I better learn to make polenta!

xoxox,

K

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At May 26, 2011 at 2:25 PM , Blogger Molly and the Princess said...

That is true love indeed! Your meal looks delicious. There is a television series on British TV at the moment called 'Two Greedy Italians' a cookery programme that also explores Italian traditions and the Italians relationship with food. I have the book that accompanies the series to review at the moment, and I too am cooking lots of Italian food - but not gluten-free I must admit.

 
At June 1, 2011 at 7:26 PM , Blogger Kristia said...

Molly! (I’m able to comment again… yay!) I came across that very book the day you left this comment, in fact! I read some very good reviews of it. I've got my head into digging up traditional recipes that don't call for many substitutions. I mean, buying store bought rice pasta is fine... but making risotto is much nicer. I'm also finding lots of baking recipes that call for things like almond flour instead of wheat flour... very much looking forward to some experimenting in the kitchen!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home