Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Venus Sophia

I've been meaning to write about some developments at one of my favourite tea houses here in Victoria. Just over two weeks ago, the Venus Sophia Tea Room re-opened under new ownership and renamed themselves the Venus Sophia Tea Room and Vegetarian Eatery. I loved it before and I adore it now and I'm very happy with some of the changes they've made to their direction.



First, an introduction. It's an unusual spot in the heart of Victoria's Chinatown, and very hard to miss. Amongst the green grocers and shops selling pottery and wicker-ware stands a lace-curtained cafe front, rose petals strewn on the sidewalk. Wandering inside you'll find shelves filled with mis-matched tea cups, vintage bicycles with baskets filled with dried flowers high upon the walls and cozy spots to settle in and enjoy your organic Darjeeling.

The new owners Sallie and Alain are just completely charming. You could not ask for warmer hosts. Both vegetarians, they have set their sights on creating a very tempting vegetarian menu for the tea room. And be still my heart, they are also gluten-free friendly! Not all their menu items are gluten-free but they've created many options. I've had not had the pleasure of enjoying lunch there yet, but stopped in for a piece of their signature Swiss chocolate cake which just happens to be the best chocolate cake, gluten-free or otherwise, I've had in years!


It went so fast, this is all that I had left to photograph:


If you are a visitor to Victoria and are looking to partake in afternoon tea, I think Venus Sophia would be a great option. It's certainly a more affordable choice than heading to the Empress for tea, but there are other draws too. Chinatown is such a vibrant multicultural and historical neighbourhood worth wandering and Venus Sophia is a welcoming and comforting space to unwind and relax ones weary, well-travelled feet. Venus Sophia is located at 540 Fisgard Street.

Perhaps I'll see you there soon!

xoxox,

K

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At April 19, 2011 at 3:56 PM , Blogger the gardener's cottage said...

oh i wish! it looks and sounds so, so good. maybe one day.

xo
janet

 
At April 19, 2011 at 4:32 PM , Blogger Kristia said...

Well, if you ever do make it here, Janet, I know all the good vegan eats here and would happy to show you around!

 
At April 21, 2011 at 4:55 PM , Blogger Molly and the Princess said...

This tearoom sounds just perfect. I wish you many happy lunches and cakes there (sadly I am too far away to join you!) x

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home