Friday, April 1, 2011

Farewell to Lady Grey

As this is the season of cleaning and clearing and renewal, I've been deep into sorting out the closets and cupboards. It's time to let go of a few things. I'm usually perfectly fine with letting belongings flow in and out of my life, but sometimes... every so often, an attachment forms.



And so it is with the Lady Grey boots, not grey at all, but crimson and chocolate-coloured little Victorian lace-up boots. They really don't fit. They never did and I'm sure they never will. I wore them just once and realized I'm no longer at the age where I'd readily opt to suffer for beauty.



I've held on to the Lady Grey boots with the teapot heel, as John Fluevog describes them, because something about them appeals to some aspect of my inner life; the internal landscape where I'm slightly more dangerous and mysterious than I really am. These are the boots of a showgirl. These are boots to inspire rivalries amongst admirers.



Dear Lady Grey, I do hope you find some other well-turned ankles to grace. I hope she takes you on the adventures I never could. I wonder if, with your departure, there might be room for Libby Smith in my life?

xoxox,

K

Labels:

8 Comments:

At April 1, 2011 at 2:44 PM , Blogger the gardeners cottage said...

awww, it's always so sad to get rid of something that is so beautiful and we had such high hopes for isn't it? i've done my share of that. the new boots you want are pretty cute though and should offer some comfort.

xo
janet

 
At April 1, 2011 at 9:05 PM , Blogger Kristia said...

Hi Janet! Yes, it is hard when you've wrapped your imagination around that thing. But really, I'd rather things be useful... my closet is too small to be a museum!

xoxox,

K

 
At April 2, 2011 at 3:58 AM , Blogger Tracy said...

Oh, this totally hits home for me...you've described it perfectly: the way an article of clothing symbolizes what we see our inner self looking like. Beautifully written. I see all those things, when I look at those boots.

 
At April 2, 2011 at 5:18 AM , Blogger Medieval Muse said...

I think this post certainly resonates with many of us - only you are more eloquent than I could ever be. As a fan and "collector" of Fluevogs and other beautiful, yet often uncomfortable boots, I can so relate.

 
At April 2, 2011 at 9:35 AM , Blogger Kristia said...

Thank you so much, you two. I'm very happy to be in the company of those who understand aspirational footware!

 
At April 4, 2011 at 5:12 AM , Blogger Molly and the Princess said...

... but they are so beautiful! I think I would have to keep them just to look at every now and again.

 
At April 4, 2011 at 9:56 AM , Blogger Kristia said...

I really wrestled with it Molly, but... well, you more than anyone will understand... proceeds are going towards the purchase of a Pashley Princess Sovereign!

 
At April 4, 2011 at 2:34 PM , Blogger Molly and the Princess said...

That is a fair swap I suppose - you will love your Princess!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home