Saturday, March 19, 2011

Tweed Ride Victoria

Let's see... seven Saturdays from today I'll be participating in Victoria's first Tweed Ride. I'm so charmed by the idea! As someone with a love of traditional clothing who owns a bike with a bell and a basket, it seems the perfect event for me.

Just this winter I was poking around online to find out if a tweed ride had ever happened here as I knew such a thing had been held in many cities. I really didn't know if Victoria had ever had one and I had just missed in the past. My timing couldn't be better as someone had the brilliant idea of organizing the first such ride for this spring.

Dressing up and riding around may be in my blood. As evidence I present to you a photo of my great-grandfather Pietro Merlo, all suited up with his daughter (my grandmother) on the handlebars.



If you're on the Island (or will be on May 7th) and are interested in attending such an event I encourage you to check out Tweed Ride Victoria's website. There are some videos there from the original Tweed Run London to give you an idea of what the experience should be like. You can also register online.

Registering not only allows you to participate in the ride, take tea on the grounds of Government House and gives entrance to the fabulous contests they have planned, but 100% of the very small registration fee goes toward fundraising for Bikes Without Borders.

I look forward to seeing you in your finest tweeds there!

xoxox,

K

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At March 19, 2011 at 8:25 PM , Blogger Alisson said...

I love this idea! It's even on my birthday.
Pity that i won't be in the city then! =(
Be sure to take lots of pictures. =)

 
At March 19, 2011 at 11:06 PM , Blogger Kristia said...

Hello Alisson! I'm sorry you won't be here for a birthday tweed ride, but yes! I will take lots of photos.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home