Monday, May 3, 2010

Vintage Green - Non-Disposables

I've been thinking a lot about disposable things lately and how much I've grown to resent them. I don't want to live in a disposable world. I want a certain permanence to the things around me. It's really not so long ago we lived without plastic. You had your few possessions and you maintained them well and kept them useful for a lifetime and beyond.

Let's start with pens. How many pens do you have lying around your house? How many pens do you think you may have gone through in your lifetime? Imagine a time when you'd have just one. A very fine fountain pen chosen not just for its function but its beauty.



Cleaning tools with disposable mop heads are a particular pet peeve of mine. Yes, they do a good job but at a high cost... more money spent on the product just to produce more garbage. Think of how long these cleaning tools would last.



Tupperware is one thing, but the new world of single use plastic containers is disheartening. There's a very real fear I have of what plastic does to food, so I've found a different food storage solution. These refrigerator dishes were popular in pre-plastic times and were used to store, cook and transport foods. This one pictured is a vintage piece from Etsy, although refrigerator dishes can be found new.



It's hard to wrap my head around not using disposable tissues, but there are times when it's just not required. I keep a lovely old hankerchief in my handbag to touch my watery eyes. This is a lovely collection of them on Etsy.



What about signature pieces? I've always loved the idea of having one piece of jewellery I'd wear my whole life. Unfortunately, I grew up thinking fashion was disposable too and needed to be changed often. I can only imagine how much costume jewellery that has passed through my hands. All those unremembered adornments could have added up to a very nice one perfect thing.

But signature pieces have more to do with meaning and sentimentality than the cost of them. Anything of one's choosing could become a signature. So for May I'm going to experiment with choosing one necklace to wear for the month. Maybe I already have that one perfect thing.

xoxox,

K

Labels:

4 Comments:

At May 3, 2010 at 4:39 PM , Blogger BonjourRomance said...

Bonjour Krisita,
Great post, I love foundtain pens, use them every chance I ger. Vintage linens are timeless.
Happy week to you,
Mimi

 
At May 4, 2010 at 10:22 AM , Blogger Kristia said...

Hello to you Mimi! Nice to hear from you and glad to hear we have a shared love of fountain pens. I use my grandfather's old Sheaffer... it make me feel connected to him somehow.

 
At May 8, 2010 at 5:34 AM , Blogger Stephanie said...

I love that refrigerator dish. Plus they are so much prettier than the plastic storage containers out there.

 
At May 13, 2010 at 9:22 AM , Blogger Kristia said...

Agreed! They're a bit heavy when hauling them out for a picnic, but they always look so lovely and old-fashioned. They're also incredibly practical. I love that they can go in the freezer or the oven. About they only thing you can't do with them is use them directly on the stovetop.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home