Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Path of a Thing

I was recently communicating with someone on a message board about the idea of the hidden history of old objects... imagining the original owners and how the tide of life brought cherished possessions from their keeping to ours.

Then last night a very curious thing happened. I've been considering going to a decorative arts auction next week and was searching through a few years worth of past auction results to see what might be expected, when I found this:

photo credit: Lunds Auction House

In April 2005 the top jewellery casket was being auctioned locally in a lot that expected to fetch $200 - $300. But I bought it for $15 in the summer of 2009 at a little antique store 80km north of here in a town called Chemainus.

It's hard to believe it's the same one, but see that little stain? It's less noticeable now because I cleaned it when I brought it home. This is just a hint at its travels, not its story... but it does remind me that this little jewellery case does have one and I love the mystery of it.

xoxox,

K

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home